This was my first Tart try and i guess it was not that bad. I used a savory filling of red-lentils and paprika and it made a good combination.
Lentils contain high levels of proteins and are one of the best vegetable sources of iron. This makes them an important part of a vegetarian diet, and useful for preventing iron deficiency. Iron is particularly important for adolescents and pregnant women, whose requirements for it are increased.
Source : Wikipedia
And now comes the recipe...
For the pastry dough
Wholemeal flour - 225 gms
Margarine - 100 gms
Water - 4 tbsp
For the filling
Red Lentils - 175 gms
Vegetable stock - 300 ml
Onion -1 (chopped)
Red bell Pepper(Paprika) - 2 (cut in small parts)
Yeast extract - 1 tsp (optional, but gives extra savory flavor when used)
Tomato mark - 1 tbsp
Parsley - 3 tbsp (fresh, finely chopped or frozen but thawed)
Pepper - 1/2 tsp
Method for the preparing the pastry dough
1. Sift the flour in a large bowl. Add margarine and mix well to form a crumby dough.
2. Add the water and knead well until the dough is smooth and soft. Wrap it in a clingfilm and refrigerate it for about 20 minutes.
Preparing the filling
1. Cook the vegetable stock and lentils together in a pan until the lentils are soft and are water free.
2. Heat the margarine in another pan and saut the onions and paprika until the paprika is soft.
3. Remove from the heat and add the cooked lentils, tomato mark, parsley, yeast extract and pepper and mix well.
4. After 20 minutes, take out the dough in a surface lightly dusted with the flour. Flatten it using a rolling pin and fit it into a Tartform (24cm)
This Tart goes to the event My Legume Love Affair guest hosted by Siri, started by Susan
and also to Bake-Off hosted by Champa of Versatile Vegetarian Kitchen.