Monday, November 21, 2011

Whole Wheat Banana Bread with Walnuts

Banana bread is one of my favourites. This is my first "experimental" bread which I baked by changing the basic recipe and by replacing the "all purpose white flour" with the whole wheat flour, which is more nutritious and rich in fiber and protein. My husband's friend had gifted us a beautiful basket of fresh Walnuts harvested from his farm. Couldn't stop adding them in my bread and enriching the flavor. Ever since, my confidence level has been boosted so much that I now try to make variations in my breads without any fear of wasting the ingredients ! The original recipe is adapted from here.

Ingredients
Whole wheat flour - 285 gms
Bicarbonate of soda - 1 tsp
Butter or margarine- 110 gms
Brown sugar - 225 gms
Eggs - 2
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Bananas - 4 (ripe ones, mashed)
Walnuts - about 50 gms (optional)
Rolled Oats - 2 tbsp (optional)
Buttermilk - 85 ml (or normal milk mixed with 1 1/2 tsp of lemon juice)
Vanilla extract - 1 tsp

Method
1. Mix the wholewheat flour, bicarbonate of soda and salt in a large bowl. Add the walnuts.
2. Cream the butter and the brown sugar until fluffy in a separate bowl.
3. To this butter-sugar mixture, add the eggs, mashed bananas, buttermilk, vanilla extract and mix well.
4. Fold everything into the flour prepared in the Step 1.
5. Grease a 20cm x 12.5 cm loaf tin (or a cake tin) and coat it thoroughly with the rolled oats.
6. Pour the flour mixture into this tin.
7. Preheat the oven to 180°C and bake the bread for about an hour or until it turns golden brown and the toothpick comes out clean when inserted.
8. Allow it to cool for about 10-15 minutes and serve warm or cold, though I personally prefer a warm one.


Note : 
1. Since its very rich in taste, it doesn't need any Jam or spreads. An ideal loaf for  picnics or a vacation. Just bake a loaf and carry it for the next morning's breakfast anywhere you go !
2. Stays good for 3 days in an air-tight container.
3. A good use of the leftover, very ripe bananas !

Iam sending this Walnut-rich bread to the Bread Baking Day # 44 hosted by Winged Snail
Powered by eRecipe.com

7 comments:

  1. Definitely healthy and prefect baked bread..

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you so much for visiting my blog and for your sweet comments.. your blog is awesome with great recipes.... Have bookmarked several of them... glad to follow you...

    ReplyDelete
  3. as-salam alykum
    found your blog listed in the crescent polls for top food blog...i found this recipe very interesting particularly coz its made of whole -wheat....i request permission to share this recipe in my facebook page(by placing a link to this page)and insha-Allah would definitely try this recipe
    thank you....

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wa alaikkum as salam Tasneem,
    Thank you for dropping by. I would love to share this recipe with you. Please let me know how it came out :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Delicious bread ..I love this a lot!
    Glad to follow you :-)
    Thanx for dropping by my space and the follow as well..

    ReplyDelete
  6. Loving this recipe so much. I made it at my grandma’s house. The combination of recipes goes well with each other and the taste is certainly admirable. www.gourmandia.ca and www.coffeefashion .com also have interesting recipes that you’ll surely want to try!

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for visiting my space and taking your precious time to leave a comment :)