This was my first homemade tartlet. I had always wanted to try it out for a long time but its only now I could actually bake them and Iam glad it was a 100 percent success. Its a melt in the mouth soft tartlet with a mild taste of the combination of egg, cream and cheese with a strong flavor of spring onions. An ideal snack with tea or goes well for a breakfast too. Coming to the recipe now...
Ingredients for the 12 tartlets
All purpose flour - 100 gms
Butter - 75 gms
Water - 1-2 tbsp
Salt - 1/4 tsp
For the filling you need :
Egg (beaten) - 1
Heavy cream - 100 ml
Grated cheese - 50 gms
Spring onions (chopped) - 3
Salt - a pinch
Pepper powder - 1/2 tsp
1. Sift the flour in a large bowl.
2. Add the salt and butter and mix well to form a crumbled mixture.
3. Add the water and knead into a soft dough. Wrap it in a clingfilm and refrigerate it for 15- 20 minutes.
4. Meanwhile prepare the filling by mixing together the egg, heavy cream, grated cheese, spring onions, salt and pepper.
5. After 20 minute, take the dough out and flatten it using a roll pin. Cut into small circles of 7.5cms diameter. For convenience cut the circles in parts of 4 each time and roll out the dough again, flatten it and then cut another 4. This makes it easier to work with the dough.
6. Gently place the circles in the muffin pan(small) as shown in the picture.
7. Pour over the filling into each well slowly.
8. Preheat the oven at 180 °C and bake the tartlets for 20- 25 minutes unitl the filling becomes a mild golden brown.
9. Using a plastic spoon or a wooden spatula gently and very carefully take out the tartlets from the sides. They will easily slip out.
10. Serve them either warm or cold.
Tip : You could as well use the readymade tarts available in the store and use this cream-cheese filling.