This is one of the first few breads i baked and till date this stands first in my bread baking list. My husband says its the "King" of all breads in my bakery, with its wonderful combination of olive oil and red onions giving it a nice flavour!!
Now, coming to the recipe...
All purpose flour -350 gms (use WeißenMehl Type 550 in Germany)
Salt - 1/2 tsp
Dry yeast - 1 Pkt
Olive oil - 3 tbsp
Lukewarm water - 250 ml
Green or black olives(seedless and cut into half) - 100 gm
Red onions - 2 (cut in rings)
Olive oil - 2 tbsp
Oregano- 1 tbsp (optional, but gives a very rich flavor to the bread if used)
1. Sift the flour in a large bowl and add all the ingredients except olives.
2. Knead it for about 5 min. to a very soft dough. If the dough is still sticky, rub your hands with a little olive oil and then knead.
3. Cover the bowl with a tea towel and place it in a warm place for about 1.5 hrs until the volume gets doubled.
4. Knead the dough again for 2 min.
5. Gently stuff in half the quantity of cut-olives into the dough and enclose it.
8. With your index finger, gently press the balls as shown in the pic. thereby flattening them a little.
11. Preheat the oven to 190 °C and bake it for 30- 35 min. until golden brown.
The result :
After your first bite :-)